Call for applications: MA Theory and Practice of Experimental Performance at the State University of Music and the Performing Arts Stuttgart
The M.A. programme Theory and Practice of Experimental Performance at the State University of Music and the Performing Arts Stuttgart is calling for applications for the winter term 2024/2025. The application period (round 1) begins on March 1st, 2024 and ends on April 3rd, 2024.
Informationen on tuition fees can be found here: Studiengebühren
The application process is divided into three two parts:
1. Create an applicant account at HMDK e-portal, download the online application form and submit it by post, along with the following documents:
● a curriculum vitae in tabularle form with details of address, e-mail, date of birth, high school certificatesschool-leaving qualifications, studies, previous training and, if applicable, artistic activities.
●proof of payment of a processing fee of 50 € per application.
Recipient: LOK BA-Wü
IBAN: DE 02 6005 01017495530102
Reason for payment: 8587200001142 – NAME, FIRST NAME – Applicant number
Please be sure to state the complete purpose of use!
Important notice: If the processing fee of 50 € has not been credited to our account in time, the application for the given semester can no longer be considered. The processing fee will only be refunded if the entrance examination is cancelled by the university (not if applicants cancel on their own initiative). The fee cannot be carried over to the next application phase either.
●a copy of the higher education entrance qualification (usually Abitur certificate), certificates of previous studies (BA or equivalent), MA certificate if applicable
●For applicants who do not have a general higher education entrance qualification, a declaration that they intend to take part in the talent test for admission to the State University of Music and Performing Arts Stuttgart in accordance with § 58, Para. 7 LHG.
●for minors, a declaration of consent from their legal guardians
●Applicants who have previously studied at another university must enclose proof of study periods and examinations already taken with their application.
●Please do not enclose an extra passport photo with your application documents. We also ask you not to use extra application folders. The environment and we thank you.
●Please sign and return the application within one week after application deadline (the date of the postmark applies) to HMDK Stuttgart. The address is already noted on the application.
If the documents are not written in German, they must be submitted in a certified German or English translation. Incomplete applications for admission or applications not submitted by the deadline may be rejected. In these cases, there is no entitlement to admission to the entrance examination.
You can find all info on the HMDK application process as well as the link to the e-portal here: HMDK Deadlines and Documents.
After your documents have been reviewed, you will be asked to submit the documents that are specific to your chosenthe MA Theory and Practice of Experimental Performance programme. Please be prepared to uploadsubmit the following documents via the portal until April 15th, 2024:
●A motivational letter (no more than 2000 characters) answering the following questions:
○ How does or could my own artistic work/practice relate to a contemporary practice of performance?
○ What are my reasons for applying to the MA programme now, at this point?
○ What would I like to learn in a two-year MA programme? What are my own personal goals?
●A portfolio of previous performative work containing short descriptions and links to documentations/recordings of a maximum of three artistic/theoretical works that have been significant for your artistic or academic development.
●An artistic WRITTEN response to ONE of the three scenarios described below (not more than 2000 characters):
○ Describe an interactive performance that could take place in a public library
○ Imagine and write about a performative moment in everyday life that goes viral
○ Describe a musical performance (not necessarily musical but a performance in which music plays an integral part) that lasts longer than a lifetime
2. After your documents have been received and reviewed, you will be informed whether you have been accepted into the second round of the entrance exam, which will be held in person on 27th and 28th May, 2024.
If you have any questions about accessibility in the application procedures or regarding the study programme, please contact Britta Wirthmüller:
Online info session for applicants
14.3. 17:00-18:00 (Central European Time)
Meeting-ID: 661 4435 4740
Meeting Code: 751913
15.03. 10:00-11:00 (Central European Time)
Meeting-ID: 611 7375 5356